Anti-sex work and anti-trans “feminists” are well-organized, funded and legitimized right-wing forces. They oppose the political enfranchisement of trans people and sex workers and are influential forces behind the expansion of policing, militarized border enforcement and the prison system.
What if more feminists and leftists actually took seriously that TERFs and SWERFs* are a threat to democracy, justice, and to left movements– and were prepared to fight back?
In this two-part series, brilliant sex worker and trans feminists will share how they analyze and resist fascism posing as mainstream feminism.
In Part 1, we’ll talk to trans organizers and cultural workers from the U.S., Canada and the U.K. to learn about the far right influence as a threat to movements for trans justice. Where are these battles being fought and what does resistance look like? How can organizers working for gender, economic and racial justice contribute to a feminism that is trans inclusive?
You can register for this circle as an individual offering but we strongly encourage you to register for Part 2: Uprooting the SWERF Agenda, where we’ll here more from sex workers on these same themes.
*TERFs and SWERFs are acronyms for Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminists and Sex Worker-Exclusionary Radical Feminists. These terms that have historically been used to refer to people who support the goals of radical feminism but don’t extend their support to trans people or sex workers, believing that they contribute to the oppression of women.
Length, Dates and Times Offered
January 18th, 2023 10:00am-12:00pm PT
January 18th, 2023 12:00pm-2:00pm CT
January 18th, 2023 1:00pm-3:00pm CT
By the end of this Circle, participants will leave with...
- A sharper understanding of how anti-trans and anti-sex worker agendas are a threat to democracy and a force behind other right-wing movements.
- An analysis of how SWERFs and TERFs are being organized and funded in the U.S. and abroad.
- New strategies and ideas for how to uproot fascist influences within feminist circles and other leftist movements.
- Recommendations from trans and sex worker organizers on how to support and act in solidarity with these communities.
This Circle is ideal for:
- People engaged in or interested in any form of movement-building, organizing or cultural work on issues related to women’s rights, gender justice, reproductive freedom and/or trans justice.
- Anyone seeking to understand current movements to decriminalize sex work and other sex worker-led movements.
- Anyone seeking to understand the impacts of anti-trans agendas globally and what strategies are being used to counter them.
- People currently involved in sex worker and trans rights movements interested in building international solidarity on these issues.
Access requests, including interpretation and captioners, can be made during registration or by emailing Dustin Gibson at email@example.com. Requests for interpreters and captioners that are made less than 48 hours before the event typically are more difficult to meet. We will try and notify you if we cannot secure requested access.
Issues with Registration?
If you have questions about this offering or technical needs registering for this event, please contact registration support.
Free! Though we appreciate donations from those who can afford to do so.
At PeoplesHub we are committed to communication access, radical hospitality, supporting facilitators, and making our offerings financially accessible. Donations allow us to continue offering programs like this one and pay speakers, tech support leads, interpreters, captioners, and other support staff a fair wage for their time and expertise. Like you, those who support our trainings work hard for change in their communities and have often developed the knowledge, skill and gifts that they are offering through many unpaid hours — let’s support them to be sustainable in their work and craft!
|Free (or Donation)